in the process of adding recipes.
spinach pesto bruschetta:
lots of pesto is made with basil and pine nuts. my basil plants are still small because i grew them from seeds so i dont have enough to make a lot of pesto with. my dad is allergic to nuts so i discovered if you add uncooked oats it adds texture. to make this vegan omit the cheese and add some more olive oil. i made it with pumpkin seed oil it was delicious!
spinach pesto ingredients:
1 cup spinach (packed)
1/4 cup fresh herbs (chopped, I used basil, mint and garlic chives)
3-4 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons oats
1/4 cup feta
3 tablespoons olive oil/pumpkin seed oil
lemon juice to taste
pepper to taste
1-2 cups of cherry/grape tomatoes, sliced.
1. Place everything for the pesto into a food processor and blend.
2. slice baguette and toast the pieces. spread the pesto and place the tomatoes on top.
i served with fresh strawberries made a nice light healthy lunch!
fresh vegan veggie burgers:
1 cup water
1/2 cup uncooked hulled millet
1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
3 tbsp sunflower seeds
1 1/2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
1-5 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1/2 red onion, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup grated carrot
3/4 cup firm tofu
3 tbsp grated beets
2 tsp tamari
2 tbsp spelt flour
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp cornstarch
3 tbsp mixed herbs
2 tbsp water (if needed)
1. put millet, barley and 1 cup of water in a pot on high heat and stir. bring to boil, then reduce heat until water is absorbed. put grains in a large mixing bowl, let cool.
2. grind seeds in a food processor. add to mixing bowl.
3. in food processor, puree garlic, parsley onion and carrot. then add tofu and process until smooth. add to mixing bowl.
4. add remaining ingredients into mixing bowl (except water) and mix thoroughly with large spoon. add water if too try and shape into patties. (6)
5. fry, boil, or grill until crisp and brown on oth sides- about 5mins each side.
served with tomato, thai peanut sauce, lettuce and homemade herb and garlic bread! yummmmmmmmmmy
thai peanut sauce:
5+ cloves garlic, minced
1 inch ginger root, peeled and minced
1 1/2 cups natural smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 tbsp tamari/soy sauce
2 tbsp paprika
about 2 cups (give or take) water
combine ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth. heat gently for 10mmins in a pot. serve hot!
Curried Couscous Salad with Cranberries:
made this for father's day dinner (front). i have just perfected the sweet potato and beet recipe behind it and will be posting it soon.
1(5.8-ounce) box instant couscous
3/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
1-2 tablespoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 orange, juiced
2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 to 4 green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/2 lemon, juiced
Stir the couscous, cranberries, curry powder, salt, and sugar together in a heatproof bowl. Bring water (amount will be listed on package directions) to a boil and pour it over the couscous. Add the orange juice. stir and cover the bowl tightly and let it stand about 5 minutes.
Fluff up the couscous with a fork. Add the olive oil, green onions, parsley and lemon juice and stir thoroughly.